If you have ever been curious about the details and benefits of Lower lash extensions and how they can enhance your appearance, then this article is tailored to your interests!
Ever since I introduced this service to my clients, they have become completely addicted!
In this article, I will provide comprehensive information on lower lash extensions, including application techniques, suitable curl and length options, their durability, and additional details you should be aware of.
What Are Lower Eyelash Extensions?
1、Create a More Even and Proportionate Look.
For the majority of my clients, the primary advantage they derive from bottom lash extensions is achieving a harmonized appearance. By augmenting the length and fullness of the lower lashes, it effectively counterbalances the extensions applied to the upper lashes.
I have noticed that a more authentic appearance is attained when you blend extensions on both the upper and lower lashes. This is because it produces a balanced look, enhancing one's features in a very pleasing manner.
2、Make your eyes look bigger
Another factor contributing to people's fondness for bottom lash extensions is their ability to create the illusion of larger and more open eyes.
If you are acquainted with the dolly lash technique, you are aware that placing longer lash extensions in the middle of the eye can create the illusion of a bigger and more radiant eye.
Now, envision the potential when you merge this impact with the incorporation of extensions on your lower lashes. This extraordinary combination will yield an even more striking, wide-eyed appearance!
3、Achieve a More Elongated Face Shape
Lastly, adding bottom lash extensions can also contribute to creating a more slender appearance for your face.
If you have a rounder face shape, opting for longer and fuller lower eyelash extensions can effectively elongate your facial proportions and create a slimmer appearance.
How do Lower Lash Extensions Work?
Lower lash extensions are applied using a technique that closely resembles the process for upper lash extensions but with a reversed approach.
As the lower natural lashes grow towards the skin, the lash extension will be applied in a similar downward direction. Consequently, the tip of the lash extension curl will also face downwards towards the skin.
Most individuals have a smaller number of natural lower lashes compared to their upper lashes. Hence, I typically opt for a lesser number of lash extensions when it comes to the lower lash line.
Typically, I apply around 15 to 30 lower eyelash extensions per eye, although the exact number may vary depending on the thickness of the client's natural lashes.
How to Apply Eyelash Extensions to Lower Lashes
1、Choosing more appropriate lashes
The initial stage involves selecting the appropriate eyelashes. In general, the lower lashes typically possess shorter, thinner, and less curled characteristics compared to the upper natural lashes.
With this notion in mind, it is crucial to consider the capability of the natural lash to bear weight. Utilizing improper extensions will not only fail to provide the desired appearance but also have the potential to harm your natural lashes.
As a general guideline, I typically use the following lengths, diameters, and curls for bottom lashes when performing a classic set:
- Length: Between 6 mm and 8 mm. You want to extend the natural lash by 2 to 2.5 mm.
- Diameter: Between 0.05 mm and 0.07 mm
- Curl: B or J
As evident, we are adopting a more cautious approach compared to when applying lashes to the upper eyelids, and there are valid justifications for this decision.
When considering the material used, you have the option of using synthetic or mink lashes. I have a preference for working with synthetic lashes.
2、Prepare your eyes
Preparing the eyes for applying extensions on the lower lashes requires a slightly different approach compared to preparing the eyes for upper eyelash extensions.
- Placing the bottom eye pad: Position an eye pad beneath the lash line, ensuring that the lower lashes are visible and resting atop the eye pad.
- Placing the top eye pad: Employ another eye pad to lift the upper lashes on the upper eyelid, fully revealing the lower lashes. Secure the top eye pad with tape to prevent any displacement.
The outcome should present a distinct visibility of the lower lashes against the backdrop of the eye pad's white surface.
Pro Tip: It is not recommended for lash artists to ask their clients to open their eyes during the application of lower lash extensions, even if it saves time. This practice poses several risks, including exposure to formaldehyde fumes, potential corneal abrasion, allergies, and the use of sharp tweezers.
3、Pick the Lash Extensions
Once the extension is detached from the tray, it is prepared for application onto the upper lashes.
For convenience, you can effortlessly invert your lash tray.
Keep in mind that the extension should align with the curve and direction of growth of the natural lash. Given that lower lashes grow downwards towards the skin, the extension must be applied in the same manner.
4、Apply the Lash Extension
Dip the lower lash extension into the adhesive and apply it in the same manner as you would for the upper lashes. It is important to consider the natural lash's strength and avoid going overboard. Lower lashes are thinner and cannot handle thick extensions.
5、Repeat Until All lash Extensions Are in Place
Keep applying extensions to the lower lashes. Remember to trim the inner corners slightly shorter, but apart from that, you have complete freedom.
In no time, all the extensions will be securely attached, and you can run a brush through them to ensure they all align in the same direction.
How Long Do Lower Eyelash Extensions Last?
Similar to regular lash extensions, bottom lash extensions typically have a lifespan of two to four weeks. Eventually, they will naturally shed along with the underlying natural eyelash that supports the extension.
The duration of your extensions' longevity relies on the growth cycle of your natural lashes and the level of care you provide for your lash extensions.
Remember, lash extensions are applied individually to your natural lashes. As a result, when your natural lash sheds, the extension attached to it will also fall out. It's important to understand that losing up to 5 lashes per day is completely normal!
How Much Do Lower Eyelash Extensions Cost?
The price range for lower lash extensions typically falls between $50 and $100. However, the exact cost may differ significantly depending on your geographical location. Nevertheless, this range provides a useful approximation.
If your pricing is determined by the number of extensions, please take into consideration that you can anticipate adding approximately 15 to 30 extensions per eye.
For eyelash technicians, providing bottom extensions is an excellent additional service for their regular clients. It requires only a few extra minutes during the appointment but yields a substantial return. In my case, I usually allocate an additional 15 to 30 minutes for this add-on service when attending to my clients.
Who is a Suitable Candidate for Lower Lash Extensions?
When a client enters my salon and expresses a desire for bottom lash extensions, my initial step is to assess their suitability for the procedure. To distinguish between a good and a poor candidate, I closely observe the following indicators:
Who qualifies as a poor candidate:
- Upwardly pointing lower lashes can pose challenges when applying extensions, making it harder to achieve a natural look. In such instances, I would recommend opting for a lash lift for the lower lashes instead.
- If the lower lashes are extremely thin and sparse, it is advisable to refrain from applying lash extensions. Doing so may result in potential damage or, at the very least, provide unsatisfactory retention.
- Age-related changes: as we grow older, the skin surrounding our eyes tends to become thinner and more lax. Consequently, this may result in the development of sagging or drooping eyelids. In such instances, accentuating the lower eyelashes would not be particularly aesthetically appealing.
Who would make a suitable candidate:
- Enhancing your upper lashes with length and strength: If you opt for beautifully elongated classic, volume, or even mega-volume lashes, complementing them with bottom eyelash extensions will provide a harmonious and well-balanced appearance.
- Distantly spaced eyes: Women who have distantly spaced eyes can enhance their appearance by opting for longer upper and lower eyelash extensions towards the center of the eye. This technique elongates the eyes and creates an optical illusion of them being closer together.
- Say goodbye to mascara: If you're considering ditching your mascara, incorporating bottom lashes into your lash routine is an excellent alternative. Not only will this save you time, but it will also reduce your morning makeup routine by 50%!
Ever since I began providing this service, I have received nothing but positive feedback from my clients. They adore how it harmonizes their upper eyelash extensions and yields a more authentic outcome.
For lash artists, this serves as an extra weapon in our repertoire to help achieve the desired appearance for our clients. Introducing it as a supplementary option during the regular upper lash appointment is a breeze.